Peri peri or piri piri sauce – here comes a hot and fiery sauce from the portuguese cuisine. its made from piri piri, a type of bird’s eye chili from africa.
Peri Peri Sauce is so yum and spicy that we have it with everything like vegetables, rice, salads, bread. it brings some zest and spice to the dish, especially if the dish is bland and not spicy. simply love it.
for the peri peri sauce, you could use even the desi red chilies… We used Kashmiri Red Chillies and they were hot enough for all of us. the rest of the ingredients are always easily available in the kitchen pantry.
- 11-12 red chilies
- 7-8 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or red chili powder (optional and if you want a more hotter sauce)
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves or parsley ( a combination of both greens can also be used)
- juice of 1 medium sized lemon
- ½ cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- sea salt or salt
- remove the stems from the red chilies.
- rinse them in water.
- peel and chop the garlic
- add all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- store the peri peri sauce in a container in the refrigerator.