How To Make Koftay
- Put the minced beef, 2 of the chopped onions, 2 tbsps garlic paste, 1 tbsp ginger paste, 2 tbsps garam masala, tomato ketchup and coriander leaves in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form the mixture into equal sized balls and keep on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the remaining onions. Fry till they are light brown then add the ginger and garlic pastes. Fry for a minute.
- Add all the powdered spices – coriander, cumin, red chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala, turmeric – and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well. Fry the masala till the oil begins to separate from it.
- Add 2 cups of warm water to the masala and season with salt to taste. Gently add the meatballs now. Do not stir for at least the next 5 minutes.
- Stir gently so as not to break the meatballs.
- Cook uncovered till the meatballs are done. The gravy can be as thick as you like so add or dry up the water as required.