Slow Cooked Kheer Rice Pudding. Traditional Lahori dessert which we make on all occasion and festivals In All Pakistan also in India too. But this Rice Kheer Recipe is especially from Lahore.
- 1 Cup rice (I use basmati)
- 2-1/2 Cups water
- A pinch of salt
- Milk 2 liters
- 2 to 2-1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 – 12 pieces pistachios (powdered)
- 1/4 Cup slivered almonds
- A few drops kewra (screwpine) essence or rose water
Rice Kheer Recipe
- Wash rice, soak and keep aside.
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil, add salt. Drain soaked rice and add to boiling water. Cook until well done about 15 minutes.
- Add cooked rice into a 4 qt crock pot (slow cooker), add milk. Make sure that the milk remains at least 2 inches below the rim of the cooker. Stir once and set to cook on High for about 5-1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally. After 5-1/2 hours when the rice and milk have come together add almonds, raisins and sugar. Stir thoroughly and cook on high again for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add kewra or rose water. Transfer the kheer into a serving dish and garnish with almonds and powdered pistachios (you can use whole or flaked ones too). Serve chilled.