How To Make Khichdi Pakistani Style
One such recipe is “khichdi”. A blend of rice and lentils cooked together, it offers both carbs and protein in one nutritious package. Since khichdi is one of those inexact dishes where you can dump in almost anything you can think off, the word “khichdi” in Hindi also colloquially means “chaos”.
- 1/2 cup moong dal
(the kind shown above, available in Indian stores)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil, then temper with the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add onion, garlic, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the rice, dal and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until everything cooks together as a mushy, delicious mix.