Chicken jalfrezi is up there as a curry house favourite and this Chicken Jalfrezi is a Pakistani recipe that is a spicy curry.
Chicken Jalfrezi is a type of South Asian curry which involves frying marinated pieces of Chicken in oil and spices to produce a dry, thick sauce. As the dish includes green chillies, a jalfrezi can range in heat from a medium dish to a very hot one.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
Recipe Of Chicken Jalfrezi
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with turmeric, chili powder and salt. Fry gently, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
Pour in the tomatoes with their juice, cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes to let the excess liquid evaporate.
Add the ghee, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and cilantro, and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the chicken pieces with sauce spooned over the top.
This Chicken Jalfrezi is best served with chapattis or naan.