Puri or poori is delicious recipe for breakfast and its also called fried bread. It is very famous in India and Pakistan and enjoyed at all meal times. Muslims serve this recipe in Holy month Ramadan.
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoons Oil + more for deep frying
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Water
- Take whole wheat atta and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and mix well with your fingertips, so everything is incorporated well.
- Now add little water at a time and start kneading the dough. It should be smooth and tight (NOT SOFT like roti or chapati dough).
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After resting time knead the dough once again to smooth out.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal sized portions, Make smooth ball out of it.
- Flatten it out between your palm and make disc. Keep those discs covered with kitchen towel.
- Now roll intp 2-3 inch diameter circle. It should not be too thin or too thick.
- Roll few pooris and keep them in a plate, also keep them covered with kitchen napkin.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot slice one poori into hot oil.
- By very gentle pressure using back of slotted spatula fry them. It will help poori to puff up.
- Then flip it. Fry the other side until it is light golden brown in color.
- Remove it from the oil using slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate.
- fry all the pooris same way and serve