Sooji Halwa is a very popular sweet dish all over Subcontinent. Sooji halwa is a simple yet delicious and yummy sweetened semoline fried in ghee and garnished with nuts.
- 1/2 cup sooji (rava, semolina flour)
- 1/4 cup ghee (clear butter)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2cup water
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds or any nuts for garnish
- Boil the water with sugar, and cardamom powder in a pan over low medium heat. Bring to a boil and Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add sooji and roast to golden brown color; stirring constantly this will take about 5 to 8 minutes. Sooji will be golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma.
- Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to sooji water will splatter.
- Turn down the heat to medium low and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Sooji will absorb the water, as the Halwa cools so keep Halwa a little more softer then you want.
- Garnish with nuts.
Tip: Instead of water add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water and keep Halwa a little thicker. Pour the Halwa on a greased plate, keep it about 1/2 inch thick. Garnish with shaved almonds or pistachio or shredded coconut, and let it cool for about a half an hour. Cut the Halwa in square or diamond shapes like burfee.