You can even use this soup as a homemade pasta sauce on top of roasted spaghetti squash by adding less liquid.
- 3 lbs (1.4kgs) of ripe tomatoes
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth or stock
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Slice tomatoes in half and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper on a baking tray.
- Break the garlic bulb into cloves and place on the same baking tray with skins still on. Bake the tomatoes and garlic for 45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, over a low-moderate heat, saute the onions until they are translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes then add the vegetable stock and simmer gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, allow to cool and chop them up for a chunky consistency OR add them whole to the saute pan with the stock and use a stick blender to smash up.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves so a paste comes out of them into the soup and stir well.
- Add the fresh basil and serve warm.