Tiramisu cake recipe
Turn your favorite Italian restaurant treat into a spectacular cake, starting with a cake mix and coffee. Turn your favorite Italian restaurant treat into a spectacular cake.
- Vegetable oil, to grease
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 x 75g pkt toasted slivered almonds
- 1 x 350g pkt double unfilled round sponge cake
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh espresso coffee
- 80ml (1/3 cup) marsala
- 45g (1/4 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 2 x 250g ctns mascarpone
- 45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Brush a large baking tray with oil to lightly grease. Place the sugar in a large saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until sugar caramelises. Remove from heat. Add the almonds and stir to coat. Pour over the prepared tray and set aside for 10 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, use a large serrated knife to split each sponge cake in half horizontally. Combine the coffee, marsala and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Place the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir until well combined and mixture thickens slightly.
- Place 1 sponge-cake layer, cut-side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Brush the cut surface lightly with coffee mixture. Spread one-sixth of the mascarpone mixture evenly over the sponge cake.
- Brush the cut surface of another sponge-cake layer with coffee mixture and place, cut-side down, on the mascarpone mixture. Brush the top lightly with coffee mixture. Continue layering with half the remaining mascarpone mixture and the remaining sponge cake and coffee mixture. Spread the top and side of the cake with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Finely chop the almond praline and press evenly over the side of the cake. Dust the top with cocoa powder and cut into slices to serve.