Dhokla is a savoury cake made out of Bengal gram flour and is steamed to get a fluffy texture. The dish occupies pride of place in its state of origin — Gujarat, and has become a favourite across the country. It’s a low-calorie, healthy and protein-packed snack. It’s cooked with little or no oil and takes very little time to prepare. The fermentation of the flour enhances its nutritive value. Dhokla has a low glycemic index which makes it good for diabetics. Here are a few dhokla recipes and a tasty variation on the regular one.
1/2 cup Curd
1 PInch Turmeric
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Chopped Green Chili
4 Green Chillies (Mark a cut in between them)
2? Inch Grated Ginger
1/2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tsp Fruit Salt (ENO)
1-1/2 Tbsp Oil
1-1/2 Tsp Sugar
20 Leaves Curry Leaves
1-1/4 Cup Water (1/4 cup for making batter & 1 cup for seasoning)
- Take a bowl, add gram flour and curd gradually. Mix it well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and mix well again. Keep aside the bowl for 4 hours to ferment. This step is optional.
- You can even use the Gram Flour straightaway without waiting for 4 hours.
- Transfer it to a bowl, add 1 Tbsp of oil, Salt, Turmeric, finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and 1 tsp of sugar and mix well.
- Take aluminum bowl. Grease it with oil completely. So that batter will not stick on it. Keep the bowl aside.
- Add 1 tsp of fruit salt (ENO) in the batter and mix well.
- Batter is now fluffy and soft. Mix well and transfer it to a greased aluminum bowl.
- Fill 25% of pressure cooker with water and place 1 small half filled bowl inside it.
- Place the dhokla aluminum bowl above the small bowl and cover the lid of the pressure cooker (do not put weight. whistle on the lid.
- Keep the stove on high flame and steam the Dhokla for 25 min..
- Dhokla is ready, take it out in a plate.
- Separate the Dhokla from the corners of the bowl, with the help of a knife.
- Take it out in a plate. Cut it in pieces and keep it aside.
- Now we will prepare tadka for our delicious Dhokla. Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and green chilies. Cook on low flame. Add 1 cup of water. After mixing well, add 1/2 tsp of sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Cook on high flame for about 2min.. Spread the prepared green chili mixture on the dhokla pieces.